[haiku-development] Re: Question about system updates.

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 11:53:26 -0300

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 01.10.2013 um 16:00 schrieb Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > I am just wondering: Does the package management stuff supports updates
> of Haiku.hpkg? How exactly would it work?
>
> I guess "it depends" what needs to happen. For example, I would assume
> that some updates require a reboot, while others do not. I am sure the
> use-case has been considered, though. :-)

Right now updating is just replacing a package, right? But replacing a
package that is virtually the entire system might result into complicated
issues. I guess Haiku.hpkg could be handled differently by haikuDepot or
whatevere else could be used for updating but, as it is, the user can still
manually overwrite haiku.hpkg with another one.

> > While we are at it, wouldn't it be better if Haiku.hpkg was some meta
> package and the individual components inside isso were actual individual
> packages (for example, specific drivers, specific programs, etc)? i
> understand that thsi would probably have an impact on performance but,
> OTOH, it looks like it would make updates on a specific component not
> require a complete system update.
> >
> > Note that I may be missing completelly the point of how it is supposed
> to work. if that is the case, please let me know. :)
>
> What would be the benefit of updating individual components? If you are
> concerned about the bandwidth required by downloading a system update, that
> can actually be solved at the transport layer (binary diffs). Do you see
> other advantages? Having only one package greatly reduces the clutter in
> the packages folder, and makes it clear what is part of core Haiku.
> However, it could make it easier to replace components, much like in BeOS,
> when some stuff is inside its own package (Tracker, DeskBar, ...)

This is exactly the type of issues I have in mind. Tracker could be
replaced without a reboot. So could deskbar. So could some drivers...
Replacing haiku.hpkg will most likelly always require a reboot.