[haiku-development] Question about /system and /boot/system

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 20:25:44 +0100

Hi there,

when looking at the restructured folder hierarchy with respect to
find_directory(), I have realized that it has become quite a mess :-\

This is the current hierarchy (in the pm branch):

boot
        common
                packages
                        contents
                                add-ons
                                apps
                                bin
                                develop
                settings
        system
                packages
                        contents
                                add-ons
                                apps
                                bin
                                develop

For starters, I wonder where /system should point to: currently, /system
points to /boot/system, but that folder just contains the 'packages'
subfolder. While correct in principle, it means that stuff like /system/bin
and /system/add-ons no longer work. I have no idea whether or not that is
going to be a problem with many legacy applications and/or scripts.
Generally I wonder, what's the purpose of /system anyway?

Furthermore, I'm not at all sure what find_directory() should return for
some constants - this is what it does currently:

        B_SYSTEM_DIRECTORY          => '/boot/system'
        B_BEOS_SYSTEM_DIRECTORY     => '/boot/system'
        B_SYSTEM_PACKAGES           => '/boot/system/packages'
        B_SYSTEM_PACKAGES_CONTENTS  => '/boot/system/packages/contents'

        B_COMMON_DIRECTORY          => '/boot/common'
        B_COMMON_SYSTEM_DIRECTORY   => '/boot/common'
        B_COMMON_PACKAGES           => '/boot/common/packages'
        B_COMMON_PACKAGES_CONTENTS  => '/boot/common/packages/contents'

Is that ok or should anything be changed?
What's the meaning of B_COMMON_SYSTEM_DIRECTORY?

cheers,
        Oliver