[haiku-development] Question about BFS.

  • From: Alexandre Moreira <alexandream@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:32:54 -0300

Ok, first for all, please excuse me if this is not the best place to
ask such a question. I just couldn't find a place which fits best, so
I decided to give it a try. If at all inconvenient I'll just drop the
topic.

The thing is, after stalking, erm.... I mean, reading, the list for
quite a while, I stumbled into a reference to "Practical File Systems
Design" by Giampaolo and I'm finding it a most interesting read. One
thing that caught my attention, and I'm not sure if I understood
correctly is: Does every attribute past the "small_data" storage take
a least two data blocks in disk? If so, isn't this excessive waste?
Just to make sure where I come from: I'm thinking that the attribute's
inode takes one whole block, while it points to at least one block of
data.

Of course, I'm not advocating any change in this regard, even if
wasting a lot, because that would mean a major incompatibility. It's
just that I got quite interested in the internals of BeOS, and
therefore Haiku, and I'm trying to understand it more closely.

Thanks, and sorry for any inconvenience,
Alexandre Moreira.

PS: Been following you for a while, and I have to say the work you
guys are putting in this project is not only great, but inspiring.
Nice job, everyone, even if it means little coming from a single user
in this huge world.