[haiku-development] Re: Question : Haiku + Transmission

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 16:35:48 -0500

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is that libtorrent the libtorrent contained in Transmission ?

It might be.

For a long time Transmission had its own BitTorrent library,
libtransmission.so, which at one time was not all that great and
caused it to get banned from some trackers. But looking on the
Wikipedia page for libtorrent, Transmission is mentioned as one of the
clients that uses it. But Transmission's own Wikipedia page does not
say it uses librtorrent and still mentions libtransmission.so. But if
it is mentioned in the code it must be using it.

So if you happen to port libtorrent while porting Transmission, let me know :)

> Also for Transmission, either a c++ or python+bethon gui could be made
> to utilize transmission's documented RPC.
> RPC : http://trac.transmissionbt.com/browser/branches/1.4x/doc/rpc-spec.txt
>
> I'm only suggesting python as it is one of the few languages i feel
> competent writing in.  :)
>
> Until that point, there is a web-client and a cli transmission-remote
> for manipulating the daemon.

For what it is worth as part of my work on a new browser I was wanting
to make a separate download manager application that had plug-ins for
various protocols, including BitTorrent. The idea being bandwidth
usage, default download location rules, and other things like that
could all be kept and configured in one place. It seems like a good
idea to me, but I remember some people complaining about it for some
reason when I have mentioned it before.

I will admit I really like how Chrome does downloads, but I suppose
that interface could still be used in our new browser but using
BMessages to the actual download manager for progress notifications,
etc. I like the idea of a separate application for downloading because
of the reasons mentioned above as well as having it decoupled from the
browser, so you don't have to worry about the browser crashing and
killing a download or having to leave it running for a long download.
Plus I personally hate when browsers try to do torrent downloads.

Regards,
Ryan