[haiku-development] Re: QT for R2

  • From: Clemens Zeidler <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:23:06 +1300

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:23:44 +1300, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Andrew,
 Am 19.03.2012 01:54, schrieb Andrew Wood:
On 19/03/12 00:44, Joseph Groover wrote:
As far as I'm aware we are talking about a quality port of QT so we
can get our hands on some quality applications and not remain 10+
years behind. I do not believe anyone is planning to use QT in place
of native code.
 According to the 'official' announcement its to investigate the
feasability of replacing partly or completely the Be API with QT
What official announcement? There was only some consense about a possible GSoC project idea. That doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I also think that the title of the task is a bit to controvertible or confusing. Maybe we should change it to update the qt port and add missing parts, e.g. is audio stuff working? Thats probably already enough work...

Alternatively to the qt port task (which I think is pretty cool) we could offer this task *)

For the "Graphical project manager tool" task, paladin should be considered as a start point! http://darkwyrm-haiku.blogspot.co.nz/

@Stippi: with the release of the 4 times higher resolution ipad, what do you think about a project that makes the main interface not pixel based but size based? or at leased somehow scalable?

Regards,
        Clemens

*)
Task: Design and implement missing classes for the Haiku api

The Haiku api is missing quite a few standard classes available in other api's. Some of the missing classes are e.g.:

Support Kit:
BArray
BMap
BInOutStream
BRegularExpression

Interface Kit:
- BSpinButton
- BUrlView

The idea is to select a few classes, design and implement them. As a design reference other toolkits like Qt could be used.