[haiku-development] Re: QT and SDL GCC4 libs and Haik compatible Logo program

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 07:39:39 +0200

Hi Jim!

Jim Saxton, Thu, 2 Jun 2011 20:05:42 -0700:
> Why this is even being discussed:
>
>  A quote from
> http://haikuware.com/forum/alpha-3-compatible-software/1955-haiku-alpha3-compatible-software-discussion/Page-4
> >
> [quote]
> Secondly, Haiku releases two different versions. GCC2 & GCC4 (well
> actually four), yet the 'official' flavour is the GCC2 Hybrid.
> Confused? So, whose fault is it that developers develop GCC4 apps
> that
> don't work on the official hybrid but work on the GCC4 builds?

I agree that the distinction between "official nightlies" and versions
for debugging purposes should be emphasized some more. It was discussed
to rename them to something other than "haiku" and maybe put in a sub-
directory.

On the other hand the nightly page explicitly says:

"While official releases leading up to and including R1 Final are
distributed only as a GCC 2 Hybrid, all four combinations (GCC 2 Only,
GCC 4 Only, GCC 4 Hybrid, & GCC 2 Hybrid) are available for development
and testing purposes. *It is recommended to use a GCC 2 Hybrid.*"

Develpment work takes an incredible amount of paying attention to
detail. How can a developer overlook this?
Or is it a misunderstanding, because it's all taylored to Haiku OS-
development and should be extended with:

"3rd party applications *must* be compiled in a GCC 2 Hybrid
environment, preferably the latest official release."
Is there still a <blink> tag...?

> When r1a3 or r1beta, or R1 are released and the reviewers attempt to
> install poorly ported software that is only packaged to run on a gcc4
> build of haiku, it will be Haiku that is dissed in the review, not
> the
> game that was not packaged to be compatible with Haiku.

You could argue that the Haiku project is too open with its debugging
builds and should have made the distinction more obvious. Fine, I hope
the web/build team are working on the "waltering" of the non-gcc2h
images.
I do think the software sites distributing non-gcc2h compiled and broken
apps share a major part of that responsibility for not screening
incoming apps. I'm happy to see they start to address the issue.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette
        http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com