[haiku-development] Re: QT and SDL GCC4 libs and Haik compatible Logo program

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:36:35 -0700

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 5:11 PM, SMC.Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   looking at the situation today and they ever increasing amount of ported
> applications. If some system is not put into place now, it will be far
> harder to untangle later and be met with much much greater resistance.

I'm not sure that's true...

Why can't people in the community simply push back on the developers
to improve their software incrementally?

Eventually, I imagine there will be some kind of official "repository"
(perhaps managed by Haikuware, who knows) where apps meeting certain
criteria can be hosted and distributed easily to Haiku users with a
simple interface... When something like that becomes available, I
would expect that is the time to start setting the guidelines.

In the meantime, I don't see why Haikuware shouldn't start setting
their own guidelines for software hosting... wouldn't that make the
most sense at this point? Setting the bar high enough that developers
must meet certain criteria to benefit from Haikuware's hosting
service?

Basically what I'm suggesting is: the Haiku Project developers
themselves seem to be a little bit busy trying to finish an operating
system right now - so if someone wants to build a community of good,
working software applications, I think the onus should be on this
community of developers to make sure their applications are of high
quality. Maybe throw some requirements out to slow down developers
from releasing absolute crap/half-assed ports for users to deal with.

- Urias