[haiku-development] Re: QT and SDL GCC4 libs and Haik compatible Logo program

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:27:20 -0700

> Maybe I need to explain a bit more of this.
>
> I noticed over time that a lot of users get into problems because of badly
> packaged software. For example, games installing gcc4 SDL libraries in the
> lib/ folder in a gcc2 system and breaking other apps relying on these libs.
> So the first idea was trying to avoid this. But at the same time, I see this
> logo as a way for software developpers to proudly show they support Haiku
> development (something I'd do on my homepage for some of the software I
> develop).
> This wiki page is in an early state....

I think it's still a bit early for this.  Perhaps hold off on any type
of logo granting until we at least have package management in place.
The wiki page would be a good start on putting up guidelines, such as
not putting . dirs in /~, making use of find_directory() etc.  As I
understand it, the package manager packaging tool is slated to have a
build in check to verify that packages don't voilate some as to be
determined rules.  Maybe the will also help keep things cleaned up as
well.

So let's hold off on the logo idea, at least for now.

-scottmc