[haiku-development] Re: QT and SDL GCC4 libs and Haik compatible Logo program

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:01:11 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 18:24:06 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [haiku-development] Re: QT and SDL GCC4 libs and Haik compatible Logo
program

That's news to me too and I strongly object, particularly to the "The Haiku
Project is responsible for allowing 3rd-partiesto use the logo." I certainly
have better things to do with my time than to judge whether dozens of software
packages are "Haikuish" enough. I also don't see the point.

CU, Ingo

  I can understand your objection. I think one thing to clarify however is that
this generally would not require by description the intervention of yourself
and the other commiter/voting developers. Essentially this would be self/user
policed, which is more then adequate. Then only time such a situation would
arise that would require dev intervention would be when someone is non
compliant and using the logos.

 I think what needs to be siad however is that without some type of standards,
your looking at anarchy. which you don't have to look to hard or far in the
opensource software community to find. haikuware "not picking on haikuware btw"
has a tremendous amount of software that does not work, does not work
correctly, does not respect proper usage of directorys etc. Placing a logo on
such applications makes it easier for the users to understand what is a
properly functioning application, and what is not. This hopefully reduces
dramatically the workload of the developers chasing bugs becuase someone did
not properly build a application etc.

 I certainly don't mind helping and testing these applications. Its not hard
work. Its pretty easy and I frequently have some time to invest here.

 My question about the QT framework being "hiaku" compatible still stands
though. It certainly would be nice to be able to say to users, yes here are
some QT apps and yes these QT apps work.

 I also am aware of how much the dev community here dislikes outside API's, but
the haiku community at large "users" are a bit app starved. Also having more
3rd party applications isn't hurting to attract users and hopefully some
developers.

 I can only try to represent the users perspective here as I am not a developer
on any level.

 I will keep testing apps, but if there is a direction you'd like to see this
takne please let me know.

   Sean