[haiku-development] Re: Q: Modifying InstallSourceArchive behavior

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:22:00 +0200

On 2010-04-27 at 00:29:20 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 19:40, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Because I've doubts the anyboot image  + source archives will fit on a
> >> 700MB (80min) CD that CafePress uses. As we established earlier,
> >> including the sources on physically distributed media is the easiest
> >> way to satisfy the [L]GPL requirements for providing sources.
> >
> > Oh, OK, I assumed the physical CDs would use the exact same image we'll be
> > distributing online (i.e. both with sources) and we'd simply have to find
> > way to make things fit.
>
> For online distribution, I'm hoping that having the sources online will
> suffice.

I believe it does (at least to satisfy the (L)GPL).

> Maybe we could add an explicit text blurb & link in AboutSystem  --
> "The archives of the source code used in Haiku R1 Alpha 2 is available
> at <url>."  I'm also looking into updating Haikuporter to generate the
> .OptionalDescriptionFiles, such that the SourceURL: lines will be
> computed on the fly.

Sounds good.

> ... I'd need to reread some licenses to see if that'll satisfy the
> offers wrt online distribution.
>
> It may be worthwhile to provide the cd+sources archive somewhere, eg
> HaikuFiles, so that anyone who wants to freely distribute self-burned
> discs of R1A2 will also meet their obligations of providing the source
> code.

+1

> As for distributing that image to mirrors, eh, I'm impartial.

Well, if we make it available, we should probably also have it mirrored.

> > Do we already have estimates what the sources will weigh altogether?
>
> tar.xz of an svn export buildtools/trunk & haiku/trunk, weigh in at
> 55M and 63M respectively.

A bit can be omitted, like haiku/trunk/{3rdparty,documentation,src/tests} and
buildtools/trunk/{autoconf,jam,libtool,patches}.

> So far, the optional packages' sources have
> yet to be tarred.

OK.

> for comparison, r1alpha1's tar.bz2 weighed in at 74M and 70M
> respectively. Its other packages were provided as plain tar.gz and
> were 174M.

Mmh, that doesn't look too good then. WebKit is LGPL, so I guess we want to
add its sources, too. Might even get tight for the ISO.

CU, Ingo