[haiku-development] Re: Q: Modifying InstallSourceArchive behavior

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:29:20 +0000

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 19:40, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Because I've doubts the anyboot image  + source archives will fit on a
>> 700MB (80min) CD that CafePress uses. As we established earlier,
>> including the sources on physically distributed media is the easiest
>> way to satisfy the [L]GPL requirements for providing sources.
>
> Oh, OK, I assumed the physical CDs would use the exact same image we'll be
> distributing online (i.e. both with sources) and we'd simply have to find a
> way to make things fit.

For online distribution, I'm hoping that having the sources online will suffice.

Maybe we could add an explicit text blurb & link in AboutSystem  --
"The archives of the source code used in Haiku R1 Alpha 2 is available
at <url>."  I'm also looking into updating Haikuporter to generate the
.OptionalDescriptionFiles, such that the SourceURL: lines will be
computed on the fly.

... I'd need to reread some licenses to see if that'll satisfy the
offers wrt online distribution.

It may be worthwhile to provide the cd+sources archive somewhere, eg
HaikuFiles, so that anyone who wants to freely distribute self-burned
discs of R1A2 will also meet their obligations of providing the source
code. As for distributing that image to mirrors, eh, I'm impartial.

> Do we already have estimates what the sources will weigh altogether?

tar.xz of an svn export buildtools/trunk & haiku/trunk, weigh in at
55M and 63M respectively.  So far, the optional packages' sources have
yet to be tarred.

for comparison, r1alpha1's tar.bz2 weighed in at 74M and 70M
respectively. Its other packages were provided as plain tar.gz and
were 174M.

--mmadia