[haiku-development] Re: Q: Modifying InstallSourceArchive behavior

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:44:51 +0200

On 2010-04-25 at 18:36:18 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Currently when the user selects  "--include-sources" or sets
> HAIKU_INCLUDE_SOURCES=1, the source archives specified in
> build/jam/OptionalPackages are copied to develop/sources.
>
> Would it be ok, to
>  * copy them to  _packages_/Sources/develop/sources
>  * AddVariableToScript $(script) : includeSources :
> $(HAIKU_INCLUDE_SOURCES:E=0) ;
>  * then in build_haiku_image
> {{{
>   mkdir -p _packages_/Sources/develop/sources
>   addattr -t string "INSTALLER PACKAGE: NAME" "Source Code Archives"
>   addattr -t string "INSTALLER PACKAGE: DESCRIPTION" "Individually
> compressed source archives of included software."
>   addattr -t string "INSTALLER PACKAGE: GROUP" "Options"
>   addattr -t bool "INSTALLER PACKAGE: ON_BY_DEFAULT" false
>   addattr -t bool "INSTALLER PACKAGE: ALWAYS_ON" false
>   addattr -t float "INSTALLER PACKAGE: SIZE" `du -sb
> _packages_/Sources/develop/sources`
> }}}
>
> This will allow the user to opt-in to having Installer copy those
> source archives to the dest partition.
> It'll resolve #5481 as fixed/invalid

So far only Axel has voiced an opinion on whether the sources need to be
installable via Installer at all ("No.") and I tend to agree. Following that
thought, it would be fully sufficient to put the source archives anywhere on
the CD
image where they can be found by the user, if desired, and where the Installer
does
ignore them.

> #5785 is probably invalid already (though, i'm not sure how Installer
> automagically handles the isCDPackages from the build system)

I'm still fond of the idea to get rid of the ISO9660 image completely in favor
of
anyboot images. This would also make the "CD package" mechanism superfluous.

CU, Ingo