[haiku-development] Re: Pushing for R1 (Final)

  • From: "Clemens Zeidler" <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:36:54 +1300

Hi,

I'm not really in the release and marketing process so just take it as my opinion. Prove me wrong but I think we already reached the goal of R1 to create a replacement of BeOS R5. In most places Haiku is much better / more modern than BeOS ever has been. I think Haiku is feature complete and we should enter the beta phase to make a cut. Thinks like a package management are very important and I really like to see them soon but I think its more important to have an earlier R1 release. We can put this additional features in a next release, maybe R1.5. I would estimate that waiting for all this want to have features takes at least another year.

I think it's important to show the outside world that we reached the status of R5. To be in the official state of still replacing a 10 year old OS is not the best position to attract new developer with new ideas. And we are beyond this point!

Regards,
        Clemens

Am 14.11.2010, 12:41 Uhr, schrieb Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>:

Is anyone willing to have an earnest push for R1 (Final)?

Basically, documenting the actual issues that are preventing R1 Beta's
and for R1 (Final) to be released. (whether it be bugs, missing
implementations/features, documentation, infrastructure, other tools
....)

This has been started at http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/PlansOfConquest
This page could be used as a collaboration point, much like PackageManagerIdeas
... Speaking of which, Package Management is the 'elephant in the
room' as far as missing features. What can be done about this and who
is willing to do it (even if finances are required?

Once the release information is collected into one place, several
things will be easier:
 * to update Trac to properly reflect the milestone dependencies
* to identify tasks that no one currently feels responsible or motivated to do
 * for newcomers to learn what is needed most
 * for people to feel more comfortable in submitting contract
proposals and bounties
 * for Haiku, Inc to organize large-sum donation drives
 * for Haiku, Inc to accept contracts for those items (even non-C/C++
development)

In sum,
 - Document what is necessary to start rolling out Beta's and to
release the big R1. (This includes suggestions for addition or
postponement)
 - Find out who is willing to work on which bits.
 - Find out which bits need an owner.

I really feel that we're getting to a point where we can make
something big happen.

--mmadia