[haiku-development] Re: Pushing for R1 (Final)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:07:32 +0100

On 2010-11-26 at 22:40:31 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 18:06, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Just a quick idea: Should the release of R1 be bound to the outcome of
> > the poll, or should the active committers have some kind of veto power?
> > I think it would be interesting if the committers could only veto
> > against inclusion of features, but not veto pro inclusion. This way the
> > community could only remove blockers in order to see the R1 release
> > sooner, but they couldn't add more blockers and delay the release
> > indefinitely. Am I making sense? :-) In terms of changing the Wiki page,
> > I am just suggesting to add an appropriate disclaimer to make this
> > clear, should we all agree it's a good idea.
>
> Having both the general interest poll and FutureHaikuFeatures has been
> on my mind for the past few days. What would happen if one differed
> greatly than the other? How much longer are we willing to delay R1?
> How many features are we willing to strip from R1 (even ones that are
> in BeOS R5)? ... this concerned me and is why I didn't move on this sooner.
>
> The only thing that consoles me about having the two polls is that I'm
> confident that the outcome of the general interest poll will carry some
> type of weight in the final decisions about R1 -- even if that weight
> is only each individual contributor taking the results into consideration.
>
> Basically, I'm in favor of our typical meritocracy + thoughtful
> consideration to community input approach and hope that things will work
> out (at least well enough, so as to keep moving towards R1)

+1
Let's not turn this poll into a vote. We simply want to get some input from
a larger part of the community. We'll discuss the results and make some
decisions. If a large percentage of the community agrees on something, then
this will certainly carry some weight, but I don't think there should be any
decision making automatism based on it.

CU, Ingo