[haiku-development] Re: Proposal to add the USBKit to the DeviceKit

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 00:05:24 +0200

Stephan Assmus wrote
>>> Wouldn't moving it to another library break said binary compatibility?
> In this particular case, all the apps that exist have the USBKit.a
> linked statically, so they would not break (hm, unless the symbols
> conflict?). I think Michael meant the usb_raw driver itself, which
> can be used by the old USBKit as well as the new one.

Exactly. The currently existing apps have their USBKit.a linked in statically.
This communicates with usb_raw (using ioctls) and that's where our usb_raw
driver is compatible as it implements the same ioctls and data structure. I
don't know if the symbols would collide at all, but even if they would it
doesn't matter as the new classes are all called BUSB* whereas the old
versions were just USB*. So the symbols are different anyway.

Regards
Michael