[haiku-development] Re: Proposal : move away from bash

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:35:05 +0200

pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Any good reason not to make the switch ?

Compatibility. Also, there is a reason that bash is the defacto shell
almost everywhere. The devil is usually in the details, and even those
who tried (Ubuntu), went back to bash in the end.

And quite the opposite: I see no reason to make the switch. The GPL is
perfectly fine for self-contained software like bash.
The UTF-8 bugs are not bugs in bash, but only ones in our
configuration. Furthermore, libreadline is used in many more software,
so fixing this should definitely be in our interest, regardless of the
shell we use.
But feel free to add an optinal package for mksh. I think there is also
nothing wrong in trying to make our scripts as compatible as possible
to as many shells as possible.

Bye,
   Axel.