[haiku-development] Re: Proposal : move away from bash

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:14:47 +0200

Am 13.08.2010 um 14:06 schrieb pulkomandy:

Compatibility. Also, there is a reason that bash is the defacto shell
almost everywhere. The devil is usually in the details, and even those
who tried (Ubuntu), went back to bash in the end.

We don't use shell scripts as much as most linux distros.
I fixed the bootscript to work with mksh and I'm now using it as my
/bin/sh. I'll see if I get any trouble because of that.

The OS itself is the least issue. It's all the 3rd party software that relies on bash features.

On Ubuntu I ran into subtle issues with dash. For example, the `type` command worked differently, so that OpenBIOS wouldn't find my cross- compiler.

Andreas