[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: include InternalMIDI in Haiku

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:10:10 -0700

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 04:51:29PM +0100, Barrett wrote:
> Ops forgive to link the repository :
>
> http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/show/internalmidi
>
> 2010/3/22 Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > I'm recently playing around InternalMIDI :
> > http://www.maybe.de/software/internal_midi/ (creator old site)
> > It is basically a preference for the internal synth and a MIDI node
> > that play midi data via the internal synth.
> >
> > The code is hosted on osdrawer and licensed (very thanks to the
> > creator) under MIT license, IMHO this nice app could be easily
> > included in Haiku and converted in a MIDI Preference, secondarily
> > including PatchBay into it could improve the power : )
> >
> > what are the community opinions about this idea? maybe it is unuseful?

Have you modified at all from the original?  I can't find any files
on osdrawer, and of course the original is intended to connect to the
Beatnik synth on BeOS.  (I tried it on Haiku, and it runs, but of course
can't connect to the (fluid)synth there.)

I'm not sure how useful it is in the current form.  It probably would
be more useful to make 'MidiPlayer' a full-featured focus for this.
The BeOS one did provide a port (old MIDIKit style) that you could
connect to with PatchBay, but the Haiku one doesn't seem to currently.
I think it should. (Plus add the nice sliders that InternalMidi has.)

One thing that definitely seems to need improvement is the performance
of fluidsynth.  Cyan's 'SqueekySynth' drives fluidsynth fine on BeOS,
but he still uses the old MIDIKit, so it won't work in Haiku.  When I
try to drive it with MidiPlayer in Haiku, the lag is about a second,
which of course is useless.  I don't know if the difference is because of
the settings used for fluidsynth (I had similar latency problems on Linux
until I fiddled some parameters) or whether there's some more fundamental
difference in the audio chain.  I'm handicapped somewhat because the
laptop only has OSS, which only actually works 30% of the time!o

                -- Pete --