[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:46:17 +0200

Hi,

Am 18.09.2013 14:25, schrieb Mariusz Wojcik:
I really like Google Go. It is practically designed, small and easy to
learn, compiles very fast, runs very fast, and wasn't designed by
academics but by programmers trying to get a job done (hence the
academics don't like it.)

Sorry for Offtopic, but I think Rust would better fit better in the
Haiku way because it was designed as practical, safe and concurrent
language.

First of all, we should arrive at a comprehensive description of what this system should achieve, what the use-cases are that we want to support (user stories) and what problems we anticipate and how we would want to solve them.

Only then it makes sense to look at the different options. Because then you can base arguments on why something should be considered or rejected on these written features.

One important aspect of that discussion is certainly going to be how much existing work can be re-used. The other crucial aspect is what the people who actually want to implement this are most comfortable with.

There isn't only the language, there is also frameworks and available plugins to consider. To me it makes little sense to go at this from a perspective of what language is currently hot and new. Of course, it needs to be a fun project. And if the people who are eventually involved in this want to learn something new more than anything, even if that means re-inventing a lot of wheels, then so be it.

But let's take this step by step. I have already received some private responses and offers to help, which I find very encouraging. As time permits, I will work towards putting together a team and to get things going.

If anyone else who reads this is interested, just contact me. But only serious offers please, otherwise you would just slow things down. The next steps in forming a team is to setup for example a mailing list. This will all be carried out in the open, please no worries about that!

Best regards,
-Stephan