[haiku-development] Re: Proposal and questions: Support of BFS

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:55:59 +0200

Am 24.10.2012 15:29, schrieb Alexander G. M. Smith:
Siarzhuk Zharski wrote on Tue, 23 Oct 2012 20:37:03 +0200:
I can take care about numerical and floating-point types, ever RECT and
BPNT can be handled correctly, but nobody knows about complex data types
like RAWT, MSGG and friends. So it looks like the final program
obligation to care about it. :-( By the way, Traker stores some of
directory attributes with "_le" suffix.

It would be nice to have BMESSAGEs converted too, since they're often
used for saving settings files.  Though it would be simple if the
Flatten() member function always put data out in network byte order
(including swapping items inside the BMESSAGE).  I'd add that as a
recommendation for Flatten() implementations in general and have the
archiver leave it unswapped.

This may be less complicated than you think, since (I believe) the BMessage flattened data stores whether it's in big or little endian format. So when the archiver always converts into and from its internal format, the data should end up intact. Maybe I am missing something.

Best regards,
-Stephan