[haiku-development] Proposal: adding no-check-names to resolv.conf by default

  • From: Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 23:44:39 +0200

Hello,

today a friend of mine messaged me with a problem that he couldn't play
certain webstreams on Haiku. One of them is, for example, on the domain
"dradio_mp3_dlf_m.akacast.akamaistream.net".
Now, if you try to ping that domain on Haiku, it will fail with the DNS
lookup, claiming "unknown host". If you try it on Linux, FreeBSD or
Windows, it works.

After some debugging, I found the problem in libbind, it rejects the
domain name because it contains underscores. With some internet search
I found that there seems to be some disagreement among people about
whether underscore in domains are allowed by the corresponding RFC or
not... I didn't go into the RFC myself, but in any way fact is, those
domains are out there. Resolving them is supported by other major OSes,
so I think it makes sense that Haiku does it too.

In this NetBSD discussion thread [0] I found the hint to add the option
'no-check-names' to resolv.conf to be able to resolve such domains with
libbind. So, if you add a line
options no-check-names
to your /boot/system/settings/network/resolv.conf and then try to ping
again, it now works.

I propose that we add this option to resolv.conf by default. Any
comments on this? Could there be unwanted side-effects?

[0]
http://netbsd.2816.n7.nabble.com/Problem-with-NetBSd-5-1-2-gethostbyname-nsswitch-conf-or-bind-resolving-chain-of-multiple-cnames-td225208.html
td225208.html

--