[haiku-development] Re: Problem generating Haiku VMWare image.

  • From: Marco Minutoli <mminutoli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:09:43 +0100

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:20:30 +0100
Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Bruno Albuquerque wrote:

> > > The network preferences have always shown the generic icon for
> > > me. Didn't try new revisions the last two weeks though.
> >
> > I am pretty sure you mean the generic application icon (the colored
> > blocks one). I am talking about the generic icon for anything. The
> > one that is mostly white ans associated with "generic file".
> >
> > Anyway, as an addendum to this, I ma compiling under Linux and with
> > no xattr support.
>
> I have not updated my copy of the build tools, only updated to the
> latest Haiku source. Building an image works fine for me with plain
> Ubuntu 7.10 x86 (only packages installed needed for building
> according to our website). I know that I am using ext3, but don't
> know if I have xattr support. Building an image works fine for me,
> that's all I can add to the discussion. How can I check if I have
> xattr support?
>
> Best regards,
> -Stephan

Hello,

you can check the xattr support on your partition with

        mount | grep devicename

where devicename is the device of the partition you want to check. On
my gentoo box checking hda2 I get:

        /dev/hda2 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime,user_xattr)

as you can see xattr support is enabled.

If you need to eneble xattr on your partition you just need to remount
it with:

        sudo mount -o remount -o user_xattr devicename

and if you want to enable xattr at the next boot edit /etc/fstab at the
line of devicename. It should look something like this:

/dev/hda2       /home   ext3    noatime,user_xattr      0 3

I am not sure but I guess that xattr support is already compiled into
the default Ubuntu kernel otherwise if you're not already able to
configure and compile a linux kernel on your own I bet you'll find
plenty of HOWTOs on the Internet.

Hoping this will help you,

Cheers

Marco