[haiku-development] Re: PowerPC and the APM

  • From: "Jonas Sundstrom" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:04:43 +0200 CEST

richard jasmin <jasminr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> intel macs use EFI BIOS to boot, its similar to
> OF.sources are floating around on OSX86 forums
> somewhere I'm sure, as (Kalaway?) someone hacked
> it and made an EMu for it to get Intel Leopard
> to boot.otherwise, you were stuck with Tiger
> 10.4.6 from someone else.And that really was a
> rosetta translation on the whole OS, explaining
> the heat issues it had on a Dual core 3ghz Intel
> cpu.You may want ot digg up on this for intel
> macs first before just jumping on that one.

Sounds more like a BIOS translation layer (providing MacOS X the BIOS
services through an EFI interface) than a Rosetta translation of the
entire OS. I´m guessing the latter would not perform well at all.

Running non-compution-heavy PowerPC apps on Intel Macs is probably
performing well enough simply because much of the code executed when
running is in system libraries and services, and thus need not be
translated, being native Intel code.

But I´m just speculating. Feel free to correct me.

/Jonas.