[haiku-development] Re: Possible USB EHCI problem

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:12:53 +0200

> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:30:43 -0300
> "Andr? Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Disable the C1E power saving option on your BIOS and see if it
> > helps.
>
> It did not make a difference.
>
> > Alternatively, leave it enabled, boot normally and when it hangs
> > (before the drives icon, I assume), wait some 10s and hit  (don't
> > hold) the power button once. If it proceeds, great. Else, wait
> > another
> > 10s and hit it again.
>
> That didn't work either. Hitting the button immediately shut down the
> machine.
>
> > See http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3999
>
> I found another one's hint in the user forums and following it, I was
> now able to boot up Haiku - in less than eight seconds: impressive.
>
> What I did was disable hispeed legacy USB in the BIOS settings. You
> can
> toggle between "high speed" and "full speed" in the BIOS. I think
> this
> means EHCI isn't initialized by the BIOS, and booting off USB would
> be
> slow (USB 1.0 probably), but that doesn't hurt me.

Please file a bugreport. It means that the EHCI handover does somehow
cause the BIOS to go havoc. Most likely it doesn't actually handle the
handover interrupt correctly. This is something that can at best be
worked around from the OS side, as it's a problem in the BIOS interrupt
code. We do not apply workarounds yet.

Regards
Michael