[haiku-development] Re: Possibility of HCD2009, More Mentors requested...

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 18:29:57 +0200

On 2009-05-12 at 16:40:09 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I am not sure I am the right person for that.  But if a student is
> >> interested in working on media coding then I might suggest writing a
> >> mpeg reader?  I could find time to help with that.
> >> --
> >> David
> >
> > Perhaps we should ask Chico if he'd be interested in modifying his
> > project to writing an mpeg reader?
> >

> IIRC, even though Chico was quite eager to submit patches and bugreports,
> the quality of his work caused concern amongst at least some of the
> mentors.

Hm. This may have come across as discouraging to Chico, which I am sure was
not your intention. I just want to ballance that a bit by saying that
Chico's effort and involvement was great and he did succeed in fixing a
number of issues.

The point here is simply this, there should not be any public vote as to
which project or student should be slotted in another HCD. Going through
the selection process in GSoC is taking a lot of time and effort for us
mentors, if we do a HCD, we should not waste this effort, but re-use it.

Going for the most wanted/needed projects has a great chance of failure.
Instead, we need to sponsor the students that the mentors feel most
confident in, and for which a mentor is even available. We have a number of
students, which were very close to being selected in GSoC. Only the mentors
know this best and so the decision should be with them.

Best regards,
-Stephan