[haiku-development] Re: Porting old BeOS code to Haiku-OS

  • From: "Earl Pottinger" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 13:30:07 -0700 (PDT)

To: John Scipione:

Thank you for the tip to use Paladin, I stopped using it because I could not
figure how to compile my device driver code with it, but the other code did
work with it so I will go back to using it again.

The device drivers that compiled ok under GCC2 were compiled on the standard
nightlies, but when I boot x86_64 Haiku and try to compile them there they
would compile but when placed in the same locations as the Hybrid-Haiku I
received odd messages about bad data and they would not work.

I tried pastebin.com. I am not sure it is the thing for this but I will give it
a try.

I will move all my future inquires to haiku-3rd-party.

To Barrett:

Yes I had found http://api.haiku-os.org/compatibility.html it is not enough in
itself.

To Paul Davey:

The drivers were compiled in the x86_64 nightly which I understand is already
GCC4 only.

To Andrew Hudson:

Thank you for your offer, I will try to not abuse your help so let me try the
other suggestions first.

To Alexander G. M. Smith:

I am not concerned about supporting BeOS anymore, Haiku-OS all the way for me.
Besides I don't want to just deliver binaries, I hate downloading a program
from BeBits or Haikuware then finding out it will not work with the latest
Haiku-OS.  In the past if I got the source code I could make changes and get
some programs running again or steal out useful bits of code.  But since
Haiku-PM I found some of the changes to the develop folder have prevented me
from compiling older code.

Anything I write *WILL* always come with the source code!

PS. Yes,I know that some of my code is a horror to look at,which is another
good reason to rewrite it.