[haiku-development] Re: Port of Apache Harmony to Haiku

  • From: Dhruwat <unitedronaldo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 19:00:46 +0530

On 23/11/11 4:01 PM, Gabriele Biffi wrote:
Il 21/11/11 20.29, Dhruwat ha scritto:

I haven't yet looked at the inner classes issue, you reported.

Never mind, it was my mistake. Damned $...

Regards,

Gabriele

Hi,
I have now updated to build process so that it now compiles the java tools (which includes javac) as well.
I have uploaded the latest binaries on haikuware.com again.

Also, you can now directly compile harmony from ant, provided you have harmony binaries to run ant. This takes care of the chicken-and-egg problem of using ant to build harmony when you don't have java available in the first place.

I have tested this by using the harmony binaries to compile the harmony sources sucessfully.

However, there are a few issues:

1. This release would still work only with a post-Alpha3 installation. This is because of the better pthread API support post -Alpha3.

2. Also, you will need a gcc4 or hybrid installation, as this release is compiled with gcc4. There was some issues with the preprocessor macros that prevented me from compiling for gcc2 .

3. Although harmony on haiku normally runs fine, it sporadically hangs up on longer runs and doesn't exit cleanly when you kill it . I ran into this issue when when running ant. Which would usually finish normally, but would sometimes hang up in the middle. The threads start yielding and never stop doing that. So I would have to kill and restart build process.

I think the current source URL will not hold up well as it is currently set up on my home NAS. I think we should move it to a free repository online, like github, or whichever place seems more suitable to the interested people.

The interested people could take commit rights to the new repository and the maintainers
of the Haiku project could help decide who should get them.

Also, There is a GCI task for creating a Haikuport that is yet to be submitted which has me and Jack Laxson as mentos. We could finalise and submit it so we can have a student build a Haikuport
that can be used by interested folks.

Regards,
Dhruwat