[haiku-development] Re: Port of Apache Harmony to Haiku

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 01:31:28 +0100

Le 21/11/2011 20:29, Dhruwat a écrit :
> Hi Gabriele,
>   Harmony does provide javac which leverages Eclipse Compiler for Java.
> It's a part of their jdktools component. However, I haven't yet ported
> that but it is a comparatively smaller component and should not be a
> very long task.

Could be quite useful for people doing java dev waiting for java to
switch :)

Btw, one project that might be useful to look at:
http://archive.fosdem.org/2009/schedule/events/java_jalimo
it allows cross-compiling OpenJDK, which avoids the bootstrap issues.

>   I think AWT/Swing would be a major challenge and would go a long way
> in making Java a viable development framework for Haiku. It might
> possibly take us more effort than porting OpenJDK or Harmony itself.

Actually, I recall seeing an interesting talk at FOSDEM some years ago
about a project that would help get this quite easily, at least for a
first port.
Basically it provides several levels of possible implementation, the
first one being framebuffer-based, requiring only 5 functions to be
implemented.
Of course it's not as nicely looking as the full thing, but at least it
would make GUI usable from Java quite fast:
http://archive.fosdem.org/2009/schedule/events/java_caciocavallo

François.