[haiku-development] Re: Port of Apache Harmony to Haiku

  • From: Dhruwat <unitedronaldo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 01:18:02 +0530

On 21/11/11 8:12 PM, François Revol wrote:
Le 20/11/2011 14:48, Dhruwat Bhagat a écrit :
Hi smartmobili,
    Harmony is a clean room inplementation of Sun JDK.
So this implements an almost complete set of the API part of the Sun
JDK API
but doesn't use any code from the latter AFAIK.
Would be worth adding to haikuports...

I agree that OpenJDK port makes more sense right now, but it seems to me that
there are a
few more hurdles to doing that with their build process. I think a
Harmony port can be a
good alternative and not a replacement for the eventual OpenJDK Haiku
port.

Well we do have an officially supported OpenJDK port project waiting for
your hands :)

François.

Hi Francois,
I am ready to work on creating a package for the haikuports. I have compiled the port only for gcc4, so availability on haikuports makes more sense.

I think in the long run, OpenJDK port makes more sense, as long as it is feasible to support it, (unless we can a make a successful Harmony port) as Apache's no longer supports Harmony. It will be great if the Haiku community can take OpenJDK far enough.

cheers,
Dhruwat