[haiku-development] Re: Plans for HiDPI display support?

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:15:17 -0400

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
The Retina screens are IPS, and they make the ridiculous 1366x768 15
inch screens in many Windows 8 laptops look like a sad joke. I don't
own one but I have a friend with one and I have looked at them in Best
Buy. One of my "things" is good text rendering and these screens make
text look really, really great.

As I mentioned previously Google's Chromebook Pixel has an even better
screen than the Apple Retinas.

I've decided won't settle for anything less in my next laptop
purchase, so I'm hoping the other stupid manufacturers get their act
together and stop shipping crap screens. Hopefully we also start
seeing desktop monitors of equivalent PPI, or least better than the
usual 100 PPI.

I have a 109dpi 27 inch crossover Korean import my wife kindly purchased for me for Christmas, its looks ridiculous compared to every other viewing device in the house. I will say, haiku does not scale well on this monitor with the default settings. It tooks some tweaking of the icon size etc to get it livable.

Sean