[haiku-development] Re: Path-relocatable software and assigns?

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:02:43 +0200 CEST

Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That comment can also be applied to anevilyak
> since I've also had the above rant once today.
> (see #3747)
>
> I could give you a longwinded pushbutton response
> about my involvement with BeOS starting in 1993,
> Let's just focus on getting Haiku R1 out, and
> leave the advanced features to the Glass Elevator
> discussion group.

If I understand things correctly you have been
away for a number of years, during which a lot
of things have been said and done. (I too have
been MIA for periods of time.)

Haiku deviates from OpenBeOS. Not hugely, but in
many ways it does. You seem to run into a lot of
these differences and question them. Most of long-
term contributors to Haiku have already had those
discussions. That is probably what creates friction
here.

I am not sure how to best get you up to speed.
I wish there was a way to distill the last years
of Haiku dev discussion and package that as a pill.

The only way I can think of is to try to learn
what has changed since BeOS, since OpenBeOS,
and ask around about the changes you see, things
that might surprise or annoy you, and if necessary
search the mailinglist archives. (Tedious, I know,
like swimming across the ocean for a snack on the
other shore.)

Hopefully helpful and not too patronizing.
(I´m not perfect, and for that I apologize.)

Feel free to email me.
There will be answers to every question!

Regards,
Jonas Sundström  (Glorious BeDev#E-1985)