[haiku-development] Re: Path-relocatable software and assigns?

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:24:09 +0000

Matt Madia wrote:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is pretty much where I stopped reading. BeOS as a multi-user O/S with
separate exclusive user areas? That's about another 10 years away as I see
it.

Anyhow, BeOS isn't Unix.

And Haiku isn't BeOS.

Looking at several of your recent tickets, you do not seem to fully
grasp the  "Haiku is inspired by BeOS" aspect.   Haiku is not a 100%
re-implementation of BeOS R5.  Are there many aspects that are almost
identical? -- yes.   Are there many features of Haiku that were never
part of *any* BeOS version -- from R5 to R5BONE to 5.1d0 to even Zeta?
-- yes.  Over time, will those new features continue to grow? -- of
course.

So, Haiku != BeOS.  never was, never will be.

and yes... this has hit a nerve.

Matt,

You will probably get along with people better when you cease treating them like idiots. That comment can also be applied to anevilyak since I've also had the above rant once today. (see #3747)

I could give you a longwinded pushbutton response about my involvement with BeOS starting in 1993, but I really can't be bothered. And in fact I really have nothing to prove here. My opinion is just my opinion, and you can take it or leave it.

Let's just focus on getting Haiku R1 out, and leave the advanced features to the Glass Elevator discussion group.

Rob