[haiku-development] Re: Package manager

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 09:27:15 +0200 CEST

Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A bundle on OSX is just a folder which you can browse from the
> commandline (or open it in Finder through a context menu). Bundles
> are
> used not just for applications, but also for libraries (OS X
> developers call them Frameworks) and a few other purposes (like
> iPhoto
> albums). If Haiku uses bundles for distributing apps in the future,
> it
> might be a good idea to have them as simple folders instead of ZIP
> files, with metadata stored as attributes of the folder.

I haven't looked at the Wiki yet, but I have to say I rather dislike
the way OS X handles bundles - hiding the fact that something is in
fact a directory just doesn't sound right to me, and is also often
confusing (to me, at least).
The outcome, though, having mostly self-contained apps, is a worthwhile
goal, though, but I think this could be achieved in a nicer way.

Bye,
   Axel.