[haiku-development] Re: Package manager

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:16:12 +0200 CEST

Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > Why shouldn't it? It's just a matter of how to store/cache the
> > information. A "real" file system doesn't do anything else, anyway,
> > and
> > file systems like NTFS support transparent compression - as long as
> > block based access is possible, it shouldn't slow down the machine
> > lot (as you also need to retrieve less data from disk), while it's
> > definitely more CPU intensive than just reading the data.
> If you are making things this complicated, you have to ask yourself:
> Is
> installing really such a bad thing? Installing would simply extract
> the
> bundle's contents (be it an uncompressed image or plain files) to the
> hard disk without bothering the user for the rest. This is a one-time
> operation, and is a lot more efficient than what you describe above.
> It
> is also a lot more transparent.

This is not really complicated, it's just a question how - the
technique needs to be there anyway, it's just the question when it does
its job. Keeping the packages around as they are seems to be the much
cleaner approach to me.

> > If the format we chose is not suitable for GB large games, then I
> > guess
> > we may want to refine it in like 20 years when the first of those
> > are
> > actually available for Haiku ;-)
> Can we at least try to get it right the first time?

Different requirements, different solutions. Nothing (but eventual time
restrictions) stands in the way of doing it with this in mind already,
anyway.

Bye,
   Axel.