[haiku-development] Re: Package manager

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:01:08 +0200 CEST

PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However, each time we need an updated version
> of some linuxish lib, there are odds that it will break compatibility
> at the binary level. That's how they work and if we want our package
> manager to handle it, it adds a lot of complexity. There is a choice
> to do : we can go the linux way and allow multiple versions of a lib
> to be installed at once in the system-wide folder.

BTW as I recently learned from Theo's release management talk linked by
Urias, OpenBSD uses its own numbering for external libraries. This way,
they can make sure they actually get a new number if the API makes
incompatible steps, as not all projects seem to have understood how
this should work.

We might need/want to install a similar system for the package manager,
or else it would need to put each of the conflicting apps into their
own folder with their own lib/ sub dir.

Bye,
   Axel.