[haiku-development] Re: Package management: update / upgrade

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:31:49 +0100

On 11/20/2012 08:05 PM, looncraz wrote:
The plan is to support an arbitrary number of repositories. Obviously
there will be one for the core system, probably including Haiku Ports,
but the user can add other repositories as well. To benefit from the
updating facilities package management will provide, third party
developers can publish their own repository. It would be nice to have
some URL type that allows repository registration and package
installation via a single click on link in the browser (plus some
confirmation dialog, of course). I don't think any alternative update
mechanism needs to be supported.

Please tell me you're making a cruel joke?

Sorry, no joke intended, neither cruel nor otherwise. :-)

This is my #1 most hated
aspect of Linux-derived OSes!!  The lack of centralization in the
software managers!

I don't want to have to go adding some repository every time I want to
add some new software!!

I much prefer centralized repos with differing rules:

Haiku-Core (OS only)
Haiku-Apps (Approved, vetted, apps, approval required)
Haiku-Dev (beta/alpha versions, a few rules, no approval required)
Haiku-Exp (VERY few rules, must be optionally enabled on each computer)

There definitely will be one big repository for core OS and Haiku Ports. We can't really split the two, since the core system requires quite a bit of ported software. Maybe we could split off subsets of Haiku Ports software into separate repositories, but that can still be decided.

However, it is very unlikely that the repositories we will maintain will contain *all* software for Haiku -- it's just too much work. I'm even pretty sure that a good deal of what lives on HaikuWare will not be in any of our repositories. So external repositories will happen and are even desirable IMO.

Moreover I also find it a good idea that commercial software makers can provide their own repository. The alternative is what we see on Windows that every application comes with their own update mechanism.

CU, Ingo