[haiku-development] Re: Package management: update / upgrade

  • From: looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:05:16 -0800

The plan is to support an arbitrary number of repositories. Obviously there will be one for the core system, probably including Haiku Ports, but the user can add other repositories as well. To benefit from the updating facilities package management will provide, third party developers can publish their own repository. It would be nice to have some URL type that allows repository registration and package installation via a single click on link in the browser (plus some confirmation dialog, of course). I don't think any alternative update mechanism needs to be supported.

Please tell me you're making a cruel joke? This is my #1 most hated aspect of Linux-derived OSes!! The lack of centralization in the software managers!

I don't want to have to go adding some repository every time I want to add some new software!!

I much prefer centralized repos with differing rules:

Haiku-Core (OS only)
Haiku-Apps (Approved, vetted, apps, approval required)
Haiku-Dev (beta/alpha versions, a few rules, no approval required)
Haiku-Exp (VERY few rules, must be optionally enabled on each computer)

Please don't go the Linux route!

My server has ~20 repos in it and I can't figure out which ones I can get rid of and which ones I can keep - and I've had SO MANY PROBLEMS when one of the stupid repos goes bust... terribly annoying...

Just give each of the above a mirror list and leave it be - NO CUSTOM REPOSITORIES! **PLEASE**

--The loon