[haiku-development] Re: Package management: update / upgrade

  • From: Lauri Nurmi <lanurmi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:10:19 +0200

20.11.2012 21:05, looncraz kirjoitti:

Please tell me you're making a cruel joke? This is my #1 most hated aspect of Linux-derived OSes!! The lack of centralization in the software managers!

I don't want to have to go adding some repository every time I want to add some new software!!

I much prefer centralized repos with differing rules:

Haiku-Exp (VERY few rules, must be optionally enabled on each computer)

Having all Haiku software in the same repository leads to the situation where Debian was 10 years ago (and perhaps still is, I don't know) -- a lot of software packaged, but many of the packages actually maintained by nobody, and barely used by anybody. And unmaintained packages can't be removed or upgraded because some other unmaintained, barely used packages depend on them.

-LN