[haiku-development] Re: Package Management - application bundle policy

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:18:30 +0100

On 2011-01-16, at 20:34, Adrien Destugues wrote:

> I'd like to suggest a 3rd way here. 3rd-party apps would be distributed in
> 'metabundle' format, that is, a set of packages put together in some way (may
> be a zip file or some other custom format). This way, the application is
> self-contained, but you can install only the needed parts on your system.

Isn't this basically option 2 for people without network connection? I.e. you
have a big package that you got onto your machine somehow. When you install it,
all deps are available from the package. Note that while this is better for
people with no network connection, it could actually be worse on slow
connections because you may end up downloading dependencies multiple times
although they are only installed once.

-Truls