[haiku-development] Re: Package Management - application bundle policy

  • From: Hike Danakian <hdana2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:08:07 -0800

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This also is consistent with Brecht's email about different packages
> having been compiled with different features enabled or not. If a
> package only depends on the base Python feature-set and does not need
> python-unicode support, then only the Python which provides the base
> feature-set is needed. If later on a package needing python-unicode is
> installed, then the other Python without that could be removed and the
> new one providing python-unicode can be installed. Since the new one
> should also provide the base python feature-set the dependency is
> still provided.

Could the repository provide all combinations of the compile options?
So you have one python package (per version, or rather, per source
tree) which can be lazy-compiled and cached depending on which
features are needed, then you get something like python27+unicode. The
idea is that the binary package names are one-to-one with source
packages, but can come in different flavors of options (and the
package manager would get the one with the union of options that you
need). If we really don't want the server dynamically compiling
packages (to avoid pre-compiling every combination), then maybe
consider source packages which you (or rather, your package manager)
can compile locally with the necessary options.