[haiku-development] Package Management: Merge Imminent

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 02:43:36 +0200

Greetings,

with Oliver finishing up the last items on the TODO list for the x86-64 flavor of the package management powered Haiku, we're reaching the state where we can build working release images with an on-par (or better) feature set for all architecture combinations that are actually bootable in the master. (*)

While not complete yet the basic package management functionality is working. There are still some issues/regressions we know of, but nothing too serious, so things should mostly work as well as in the master. This seems to be a good time to merge this rather long-running branch back into the master and thus expose it to a wider audience.

Our plan is to wait a few more days, give everyone time to raise objections, and then do the deed. As you may know next weekend BeGeistert takes place, followed by the code sprint both Oliver and I will be attending. So, should there be any (unexpected (!)) fallout from the merge, we'll have a week of quality basement time at our hands to deal with it. :-)

As I already wrote in my last blog post, please feel encouraged to try the PM branch even before the merge and check out what we're going to get everyone into. There's also a wiki page [1] with some information to aid with the transition to the PM Haiku. If you find any inaccuracies or miss information, please feel free to fix/add them or notify us.

CU, Ingo

(*) We haven't invested any time in getting the Haiku image build for not fully supported architectures (ARM, PPC, etc.) going, so they will pretty certainly be broken ATM. If anyone actually wants to work on them and needs help, please shout.

[1] https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/PackageManagement/Migration