[haiku-development] Re: PM Read-only insanity?

  • From: Denis <denishaiku@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 08:19:41 +0100

>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:38:38AM -0500, Alexander von Gluck IV wrote:
>>
>> Eh.  It's just a little frustrating as I thought the goal of R1 was to be
>> as close to a BeOS compatible replacement as possible. Everytime legitimite
>> improvements such as moving to gcc4h images have been mentioned, the "we have
>> to stay true to BeOS" statement has been thrown in. Now we are completely
>> changing how all of the directories work, and are rapidely departing from
>> the original goal.
>>
>> As an original BeOS user, it all just burns a bit.
>>
>> Anyway, i'll stop complaining about this stuff as the direction of things
>> looks to have already been set in stone.
>
> Well, if you're going to stop, I'd better start... (:-/)
>
> I've kept quiet because I haven't had a chance to install and try a PM
> version yet, but all I'm hearing scares the hell out of me!
>
> When you make changes this major, there are *certain* to be
> unforseen (and bad) consequences.  LIke Alexander, my main
> reason for using Haiku is that it maintains the simplicity and
> transparency of BeOS.
>
> I essentially ignored package management because it has never been
> an area that I felt there was any pressing need.  It's always been
> delightfully simple to download a package I want and install it. Most
> times, I could just unpack even in 'Downloads' and have it run there.

As I understand, you will be able to do exactly that within the package
management system.

> And any "package managers" I've run into up to now [Ubuntu, anyone?]
> have been an absolute pain, so I usually end up going for a source
> package and compiling myself.
>
> And I assumed that PM would not interfere with the simple way of
> installing things. But from what I'm hearing, it's going to interfere
> extensively and painfully.

It will make some folders read-only, and create extra folders so that you can
write to them (mainly for developers). Is that "extensive" and "painful"?

> Please rethink this. Please!  /boot/common and /boot/home/config
> *must* remain writeable -- at least until PM has been debugged
> for a year or so.
>
> Another thing that worries me: Is the system hierarchy completely
> unwriteable now?  I've only kept my installation useable for my own
> purposes by plugging in a few modified libraries (libmedia.so, etc).
> How am I going to do this if system is strictly-enforced read-only?

There are special read-write paths for your use.

> I've just spent a few fruitless hours trying to plough through all
> the inconveniences of Ubuntu, to try (and fail) to install and use
> a certain app, so I'm appreciating Haiku's openness all the more.
> Please don't screw it up!
>
>    -- Pete --

Now my own rant: I do not feel the new package management system is as simple
to use as it should be; if the read-write overlay idea in the other post can be
implemented I'd vote for it.

I dislike the proliferation of places to look or use.

-- Denis.