[haiku-development] Re: PM Read-only insanity?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:29:59 -0700

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Alexander von Gluck IV
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyway, i'll stop complaining about this stuff as the direction of things
> looks to have already been set in stone.

More like "set in wood".

The problem I see is this: a lot of this stuff was discussed, blogged
about, documented, and explained in detail over the last couple years.
It's only when people are actually forced to use something that they
apparently take an interest in shaping how it will work. This is why
people refuse to upgrade or adopt newer versions of software - they
are afraid to deal with changes, regardless of how innovating they
might be (I'm personally avoiding having to use Windows 8, and I still
avoid Unity and GNOME 3).

Instead of understanding, designing, and/or building solutions, a lot
of people have sat in their armchairs and claimed that "doing it like
Y is the right way to go". In many cases, they didn't even understand
what was being proposed for Haiku, or how "Y" actually worked before
making such broad claims and statements.

It has been understood for years that package management would
drastically change how Haiku software was built and packaged. I
believe one of the goals was to provide a better user experience at
the expense of developer effort. I'm guessing there are no "package
management" solutions out there that actually make less work for
developers to build software, and that's the point. It doesn't have to
be hard - but the tools don't yet fully exist.

There's a good reason Haiku has been deemed "alpha" - because there
was no promise that it would not change before it was "done".

Sorry for the rant.

- Urias