[haiku-development] Re: PM Mount Points

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 12:11:35 +0100

Am 18.02.2015 um 11:21 schrieb Simon Taylor:
+ It works like this now (Me)
There wasn't any stable release yet, so this isn't a valid argument.
It’s a pro of keeping the status quo as any change would require developer
time. It’s perfectly valid.

Definitely.
You forgot one more argument for the "packaged" section: it's even more obvious where a package comes from even for users not familiar with Haiku yet. Putting the read-only directories in one place makes the system simpler, and easier to understand. IMO Clarity/simplicity/transparency are very important design principles for Haiku.

There is also another downside, though: merging directories with a unionfs wouldn't really be an option anymore (which would fix things like that WonderBrush cannot see all fonts).

A unionfs would also solve the compatibility issue. The downside of that solution would be a less obvious to follow directory layout.

IMO the WonderBrush issue is an acceptable fallout, and the simpler "packaged" the better solution to the problem.

If we’re about removing cruft, then surely “~/config” is a weird name for the
user-specific root anyway? Perhaps ~/packaged/bin/ etc and /packaged/ for the
system-wide mount point?

And where would you place the settings files, and cached files? They still need a home.

Ideally the “defaults” should be as  part of the package, and
user-modifiable settings files should be overlaid by the app.

Yes, but we cannot fix all the software in the world. Given our vast resources, we have to make compromises. There can also be the case that updates need changes in the settings files (ie. your local overrides may not work anymore).

Bye,
   Axel.