[haiku-development] Re: PM Mount Points

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 14:29:02 +0100

On 02/20/2015 11:53 AM, Axel Dörfler wrote:
Maybe we should investigate the amount of work this causes, and then
vote what we should try to pursue (if nobody is found to carry out the
change, it's obviously not that important anyway).

The obvious changes should be:
- Change the paths find_path() and friends return
- Eventually adapt the boot loader to still find the loader

Not sure which boot loader you mean (I assume stage 1 and stage 2), but if the packages directory remains /boot/system/packages, both the haiku_loader and the haiku package will have the same path. There may be certain paths used in the stage 2 loader the need adjusting, but the "main" ones should remain the same.

- Tracker/Deskbar would be a new home, too (in apps, where they belong,
anyway)

That seems unrelated.

- The kernel would be placed in a different place, too.

It would, but no one accesses it that way anyway (except certain developers' custom scripts to disassemble it or grep for symbols, of course).

One question would be: do we have to update all packages as the relative
settings path changed?

The short answer is yes. Probably not so much because of the settings. Pretty much all software should use the hard-coded absolute path /packages/<my-package>/.settings, which only requires the path in packagefs to be adjusted accordingly. However, cache/ and var/ are a problem. Definitely when accessed relatively, but also when using the absolute paths /packages/<my-package>/.self/{cache,var}. That probably won't affect *all* packages, but it may not be trivial to find out which are affected, and it would be safest to simply rebuild all (maybe with the exception of packages for fonts and the like).

CU, Ingo