[haiku-development] Re: PM Mount Points

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 14:19:16 +0100

On 02/20/2015 11:32 AM, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Am 20.02.2015 um 11:16 schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
The argument isn't so much that users may be confused -- as you write,
depending on their level they won't be or they won't even know -- it's
that this is a weird way of organizing things: Virtually all software
lives in a subdirectory while the prominent places (/system/* and
~/config/*) are essentially empty.

It's not "objectively" weird, is it?

Everything is subjective. Moving something deeper into the directory hierarchy makes it less visible and accessible. If it were three or four directory levels I suspect most people would agree that this was a weird place to put virtually all software. One level is certainly less weird, but I still consider it a less obvious/intuitive place than the current one.

Indeed I consider blending the contents of "non-packaged" in with the
packaged contents where they are right now the optimal solution. I was
under the impression, this was unlikely to be worked on by anyone.

I guess the same goes for reorganizing the directory hierarchy.

CU, Ingo