[haiku-development] Re: PM Mount Points

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 08:04:39 -0800 (PST)

Quoth Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>,
> Am 20.02.2015 um 09:29 schrieb Axel Dörfler:
>> Am 19/02/2015 um 21:29 schrieb Adrien Destugues:
>>> And what I'd prefer in that case (I'm fine with either this or the
>>> current one):
>>> /boot/system (not packages)
>>> /boot/system/packaged (packages)
>>> ~/config/packaged (packages)
>>> ~/config/  (not packages)

> There is the argument that this somehow degrades package management to
> second class citizen. But I don't know how strong that argument is. For
> the hypothetical users that don't need to know about these internals, it
> should not matter by definition. The others are the power-users and
> developers. And if it makes (at least some of) their lives easier, I
> don't see much against it.

I personally think there is something to that.  Even if there is a useful
distinction between "power" users and some mythical regular user, if
you're trying to juggle the directory structure around to make sense to
someone, you're certainly speaking to the former group.  When I look at
the package setup and see that the packages install their components at
the top level, that sends a consistent message to me about the role of
package management in this version of Haiku:  packages don't need a
special place set aside for them, they go right in and sit down at the
main table - and if I want my stuff there, all I have to do is get it
up into a package.  There's an unusual elegance to this that I think
people appreciate, coming from the /usr vs /usr/local model.  Seems right
to me, the way it is.

        Donn