[haiku-development] Re: Optional Packages for R1A3

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 20:13:47 +0000

scottmc wrote:
 How many could fit in a 700mb cd envelope ?you could split the A3 into a
light/heavy download. I would think the SDL libs, and most of the really
needed ones like libevent for the torrents utilitys etc should be included.

 at A3 I think most will expect more out of haiku then the previous 2
alphas.

 might be better to make it easier to software to work without alot of
headaches.

 Sean

I think we should hold off on including SDLLibs until after GSoC is
done.  They still need a bit of work and this summer we'll have a
student working on SDL-1.3.  There's still some issue in the current
SDL port.  You may still be able to install them via
installoptionalpackage, but they shouldn't be included on the image by
default, not yet at least.

-scottmc

If your releasing the alpha, why not ? nobody expects it to be perfect. Sure there are issues, but tracking down the sdl libs and or knowing how to install them is not terrifically obvious.

Either that or put in a nice Read Me Now document on the desktop explaing how to use optionalpackage and where to get software.

Haiku could attract some new users and developers, but not if things are like tooth extraction to accomplish.

 Sdl libs work good enough when I use them I wouldn't worry to much.

 Putting sdl 1.3 in the beta after GSOC would be awesome

hint

Sean