[haiku-development] Re: Optional Packages for R1A3

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 00:15:10 +0000

Urias McCullough wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   Ubuntu fits on a cd ? huh last version I downloaded, 945mb. then again, I
don't download the stripped down version. New widnows 7 is 3.4gb compressed
last I checked.

And, does Ubuntu even ship with SDL libs pre-installed?

 as to the package manager, its not ready yet, so in the meantime, what else
are you to do ? Punish users for a philosophical point ?

Since it's pretty much a requirement before Haiku can be labeled
"beta" - I suspect this punishment is only for "alpha" users...

Basically I just wanted to present the user side of the isle way. I don't
have any real say here, so I figured I would mention that many users, not
programmers/porters etc, would appreciate if they are going to give haiku a
whirl, to be able to get the file they need.

You believe I'm not a user? You're really presenting *certain* user
desires. By the time Haiku is ready for "average users" - I suspect
this whole mess with have a very nice solution.

- Urias

I try to look at everything from the perspective of service provider to customer. If the customer finds something to be a hassle, generally they won't do it.

With a package management system , the hassle will be largely removed. so long as it is easy, point click and not terrificly obtrusive. Its not like some OS's where I have to download media codec's, which I am grateful for.

That said, don't be concerned about disc size, you can always offer 2 or more versions that suit the needs of the down loader. My last Quick books update was dumb. A few hundred MB.Thats annoying. But users are pretty conditioned to it thanks to the big company's.

 Peace out.