[haiku-development] Re: Optional Packages for R1A3

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 21:41:41 +0000

Urias McCullough wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 I'd like to point out ubuntu is huge. you've got some room to move. Typical
windows 7 install is like 10gb's. haiku tops out around 600 or so for a base
install.

Please note that Ubuntu fits on a CD, doesn't come with dev tools, and
doesn't include both gcc2 and gcc4 compiled versions of all the
libraries.

 even 10+ year old pc's will have no problem sparing 2-4gb of storage.

Interesting - when I install Haiku, I usually give it between 4-8gb of
storage for the /boot partition ... which I might add, impresses
people quite a bit.

 again I wasn't suggesting a "mandate" just a fat/thin down loadable media
format. Nobody likes chasing libs, its aggravating.

Having a "fat" and "thin" version of haiku represents two separate
'standard' distributions of it. I'm not sure how you could have
suggested these were not separate distributions.

As for "chasing down libs" - that's *precisely* what a package
management solution is for... and something Haiku will desperately
need before Beta/R1 at this point. I might add that this is the nature
of "porting apps" - it's not really what Haiku was designed to be like
- so by including all the libs needed to port apps up front, we're
just encouraging bad behavior, dependency-hell, and non-native
software.

Last I heard, that wasn't exactly what the Haiku project aimed to become.

- Urias

Ubuntu fits on a cd ? huh last version I downloaded, 945mb. then again, I don't download the stripped down version. New widnows 7 is 3.4gb compressed last I checked.

as to the package manager, its not ready yet, so in the meantime, what else are you to do ? Punish users for a philosophical point ?

Yes I understand the ported software issues, they aren't going away until haiku likely hits a user mass of over 1million at least. even then thats likely to not be nearly enough.

If haiku aims for any adoption, it must shoot for real market share to get native apps and developers willing to make them, along with the financial incentives. But look, Microsoft is successful and they don't seem to care to much about base install size. Maybe there is something to that. Maybe base install size is a fringe user scenario.

Basically I just wanted to present the user side of the isle way. I don't have any real say here, so I figured I would mention that many users, not programmers/porters etc, would appreciate if they are going to give haiku a whirl, to be able to get the file they need.

 I really don't have anything else to add.

 Sean